As we move into summer, I’m sure we can all agree it’s nice to shift into warm sun-soaked days filled with outdoor activities and entertaining.
However, what’s to say that Seattleites only get to enjoy the outdoors a few months of the year? With our mild climate and light (but ever-present) rainfall, a covered outdoor deck is the perfect way to get the most out of your home.
“Outdoor living spaces can not only extend your square-footage, but extend your enjoyment of the outdoors all-year round. We are finding homes with outdoor living spaces have become more and more popular, especially in the Northwest, over the last five years and add considerable value to the resale of your home.” – John Kritsonis | Kritsonis & Lindor
There are a multitude of solutions that contribute to the perfect outdoor space — one where you can enjoy spending quality time with family and friends, or simply decompressing after a long day. Homeowners are taking cues from the interior of their homes and extending many of those same elements outdoors.
As more of us take entertaining outside, it’s fun to get creative. Here are 10 ideas for an inspired outdoor living space:
- Add skylights to covered areas to let natural light in and utilize nanowalls to make the space feel open and airy.
- Use well-placed lighting to set the right mood in outdoor gathering spaces, illuminate pathways and highlight key landscaping features.
- Add outdoor speakers that blend into the landscaping or even look like rocks.
- The grill isn’t enough for homeowners who like to cook and entertain outside. Full outdoor kitchens that incorporate a sink, refrigerator, grill and even a beer tap can make the space fun and functional.
- Enjoy the big game on your outdoor widescreen TV or your favorite movie on an outdoor projection system.
- Outdoor ceiling speakers make it easy to enjoy your favorite music while you cook or entertain. It can also enhance the audio coming from your television.
- Heaters are a nice touch for when it’s cold out. Turn them on low for cool summer nights or crank them up for the fall and winter.
- Extend your home office outside by expanding your Wi-Fi network. You’ll be able to enjoy your favorite smart devices, streaming movies and audio — all while also enjoying the scenery.
- Water and/or fire features can enhance the ambiance and provide an impressive focal point.
- Home automation can combine all of your systems — heat, lighting, audio, and video — to make control effortless.